Baratza Virtuoso vs. Breville Smart Grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
icantroast

#1: Post by icantroast »

Which is better for Chemex type grinds? I'm not averse to spending more if it's worth it, but I just bought the Breville for ~$171 and I can get the Baratza for ~$206. I wouldn't mind returning it if I have to, the store said it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Baratza Virtuoso. Ideally you want to get the Virtuoso with Preciso burrset. I think Baratza posts refurbs to its site on Thursdays:

https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... egory=RFRB

If the price above is for the Virtuoso Preciso, it's a good deal.

icantroast (original poster)

#3: Post by icantroast (original poster) »

Oh whoops, I thought it would be nice to get additional responses on something subjective like this. Sorry. Should I delete that one?

JerDGold

#4: Post by JerDGold »

I can't speak for the Virtuoso or Preciso, as I have a Vario dedicated to Espresso, but I also have a smartgrinder for...Chemex! I'm really happy with it. The ease of changing grind is great, as is the removable, locking hopper. I don't fill my hopper, I single dose for myself, so the shot measuerer doesn't really do much for me. I think the consistency on Smartgrinder, as long as you're above grind #3, is pretty solid. But you already know all that.

My understanding is that in many of these respects, the Smartgrinder and Virtuoso are pretty similar, and the Smartgrinder has more bells and whistles. Also looks slicker FWIW. I think for strictly pour over the Breville is a great option and despite not having used the Virtuoso, I'm not sure I'd trade my smartgrinder for one.

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

icantroast wrote:Which is better for Chemex type grinds? I'm not averse to spending more if it's worth it, but I just bought the Breville for ~$171 and I can get the Baratza for ~$206. I wouldn't mind returning it if I have to, the store said it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks!
I have 2 brew grinders. Preciso and Forte. Both are working out nicely for me with filtered pour over (Chemex/Hario/Bee-House/Kalita) as well as for press and auto drip grinds (Bunn CWT commercial).

Virtuoso is a Preciso without the fine adjustments.

You should be very satisfied with a Virtuoso. It is a well made home grinder that is easily user serviced (should/when the need arises).
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee