Baratza Vario vs. Vario W vs. Mazzer Mini E

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JR_Germantown

#1: Post by JR_Germantown »

I'm contemplating the Vario vs. Vario-W but I don't like the idea of grinding into the bin. Just wondering, has anyone experimented with modifying the Vario-W to grind into either the entire portafilter assembly or even just a basket--without defeating its weight-based system?

Any other Vario feedback is welcome, too. I'm also looking at used Mazzer Mini doserless grinders.

Jack

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

JR_Germantown wrote:has anyone experimented with modifying the Vario-W to grind into either the entire portafilter assembly or even just a basket--without defeating its weight-based system?
I don't think its possible. Of all those grinders I would rather have a regular vario and single dose it.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
turtle

#3: Post by turtle »

Scale is too fragile to do what you want to do.

When I had a Vario-W I used the Orphan Espresso portafilter funnel to help get the grounds from the Vario-W grounds bin into the portafilter. worked exceptionally well.

There are other posts on HB that talk about modified yogurt cups, canning funnels, etc but I found the OE to be small and easily stored out of the way yet large enough at the top to avoid spilling anything from the bin hopper to the portafilter.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Alumin ... _2415.html
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

JR_Germantown (original poster)

#4: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

pacificmanitou wrote:I don't think its possible. Of all those grinders I would rather have a regular vario and single dose it.
Thanks.
turtle wrote:Scale is too fragile to do what you want to do.

When I had a Vario-W I used the Orphan Espresso portafilter funnel to help get the grounds from the Vario-W grounds bin into the portafilter. worked exceptionally well.
I'm using the same funnel. I really like it, but I don't like the idea of grinding into a bin.

Jack

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

With the funnel vario single doeses very well. If Baratza made one with Titan burrs I would never want for a better grinder.
LMWDP #366

#6: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) replying to pacificmanitou »

My Gaggia OWC has a single water outlet hole above the shower screen (with no diffuser). It is really bad about boring a hole in the puck unless I have exactly the right amount of coffee. Too little, and it bores a hole and goes blond almost instantly. Too much, and it won't lock in. If I get it just right, it does pretty well. That's why I was looking at the "W" model.

I wonder how consistent timer-based dosing is. But I'm pretty sure you'd have to adjust the time whenever you change the grind setting.

Jack

turtle

#7: Post by turtle »

JR_Germantown wrote:I'm using the same funnel. I really like it, but I don't like the idea of grinding into a bin.

Jack
I found it useful to "thump" the grounds in the bin around to break up any clumping.

Now with the SJ I shake and then pound the portafilter on a rubber mat to accomplish the same thing.

I am using the cylinder from OE now, not the funnel as it is taller and narrower which works better on my SJ than the shorter wider funnel does.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Advertisement
combs78

#8: Post by combs78 »

I recently bought the Baratza Vario-W coffee grinder off Daily Cuppa Coffee and I use an OE portafilter funnel to get the grounds from the bin to the filter . I'll agree that it's really small and convenient to store away so it doesn't really make a mess or anything.

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

Compared to dosing with the built-in timer, what advantage do you think the W will give you in the cup? How much weight variation do you believe you can taste?

At some point, the pursuit of dosing accuracy becomes a run on a hamster wheel. You may enjoy the exercise, but it won't get you anywhere.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

#10: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

For what it's worth, I was about to pull the trigger on a Mini E and they were out of short hoppers. Then the Baratza Forte got my attention. :/

Still hoping for some feedback on that topic.

Jack