Baratza Vario next step, $1500 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GrainBrewer

#1: Post by GrainBrewer »

I've had a Vario and a Duetto II for almost two years. I'm a newbie and still learning, but I've kind of hit a ceiling. I've been frustrated with the slipping settings on the Vario and it seems that even with the same settings, I'll have completely different results some days with the same coffee.

It seems like there are about a 3 dozen in the $500 range that wouldn't be a step up, a few at $875 - $1000 like the Mazzer Mini electronic and Super Jolly, but again, reviews don't sound like this would be a giant leap from the Vario. To make that leap, it looks like everything is either $1500 (Kony, K30, K8 fresh, Ceado E10), or $2000+ (K10 fresh, Robur, Kony electric).

So I just don't know where to start, in my ignorance. I just can't see spending two grand on a coffee grinder, but I don't want to spend $1000 and not have a perceptible improvement in my pulls. I would consider the HG-One, but I don't think my wife would be happy with a manual grinder, at least not at $1K.

Any suggestions?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Cant tell which model this is, but there's a Compak available in your city on Craigslist that is brand new and very cheap. * Edit, I'm pretty sure its a K3

http://louisville.craigslist.org/bfs/4049280538.html

There's also two mint looking Mazzer Super Jolly's on there too. One's asking $350, the other, $325.

You should put your biggest stake towards the best grinder you can. They pay their dividends every day.

I'd never buy a Super Jolly new again, even though I did once. I got lucky and sold it three years later for more than I paid for it. But they pop up so frequently on Craigslist for less than half the price new, as long as you can test it out and examine the burrs, there's no reason not to pick it up used. If $1000 was your absolute max and you can't find a better Titan grade electric grinder for sale locally, then the HG-One is your best choice.

Landing squarely in your $1500 range, gets you a solid electric Titan grinder as well.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-M7-Di ... 7dc18r.htm
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
BTD1986

#3: Post by BTD1986 »

I went from a rancilio rocky to a super jolly to a robur. Yes, a robur is insanely expensive, but once I started pulling amazing shots with ridiculous consistency and ease, I forgot about the price. When you factor in how much use I'll get out of the Robur and that I never again have to think about buying or upgrading grinders, the price doesn't seem too bad. Which ever grinder you choose, I would definitely recommend a conical grinder.

damonbowe

#4: Post by damonbowe »

K10 Fresh or PB seems to be the more economical choice for home use. I do love the way Mazzers look, though.

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I am in a fairly similar position to you, and I ended up going with the HG-One. (I am in the process of buying the one that Russel posted on here recently.) If I needed electric, I'd probably pick the K10 PB and set it up with the OE single-dosing funnel.

From everything I've read, even a Super Jolly wouldn't necessarily be a noticeable step up from the Vario. The TGP thread seemed to indicate that the flat-burred grinders all suffered from consistency problems in comparison with the conicals. The Vario gives surprisingly good grind quality for the money, and I haven't heard many claims that you can tell the difference between it and an SJ in the cup.

So in short, either go big (a Titan conical) or go home (stick with what you've got).
LMWDP #435

jfrescki

#6: Post by jfrescki »

There's also the Fiorenzato Doge Conical which doesn't get a lot of love, but I haven't seen any recent complaints (there were some a few years back about startup noise, but that was before a change to the motor I think). And the burr carrier is supposed to be beautiful.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee »

TomC wrote:Landing squarely in your $1500 range, gets you a solid electric Titan grinder as well.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-M7-Di ... 7dc18r.htm
A day late. Through yesterday Chris' Coffee had the Macap M7D on sale for $1325. At $1499 it's still a great deal on a large conical doserless. I'd call them ASAP and ask if they'd still sell one for yesterday's $1325 price...
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
etout00

#8: Post by etout00 replying to Compass Coffee »

+1, good advice.

You are not going to see another brand new titan level electronic dosing conical grinder in that price range. I'd give Chris Coffee a call and see if they can honor the price still...its been less than 24hrs and surely the grinders sold today came from the same order as the ones on sale yesterday. (Same Euro pricing). No harm in calling.....they might even have other 'buyers remorse' or 'open box' specials available too.

Just a word on the Baratza Vario....I understand your point about the wandering grind and you will certainly notice a difference with grind consistency if you bump up to another grinder. But, the taste and quality in the cup from a B. Vario is very good....better than some grinders costing 2-3 times as much per the Titan Grinder comparison threads on this forum. My point is that you don't have to go to an extreme level like a K10 or Robur to see a difference in results (although you'd notice a difference with those immediately)....there are plenty of other grinders out there that will yield improvements in consistency.....just something to consider depending on your budget. The advice about looking for a used grinder is good...many times you can buy and sell them at no financial loss. If you are uncertain whether you'll like the taste from a conical vs. flat burr you can also try a OE Pharos (which in my opinion is indistinguishable from a K10 in the cup).

Miami_AJ

#9: Post by Miami_AJ »

I'm on the same thought process, as I'm also frustrated with the Vario. It is a good grinder, but is not consistent.

There are some options.

Sub $1000
- Quamar M80 ~$450 / 63mm burrs (comparable with Super Jolly)
- Quamar T48 ~$799 / 83mm burss (comparable with Mazzer Major?) - This one seems a bit obscure but it seems to be a great deal on specs. I haven't found reviews, but reviews on the M80 seem to be favorable.
- Used/or New Super Jolly / would grind the same way now or 10 years from now / 64mm
- Used MAzzer Major / would grind the same way now or 10 years from now / 83mm

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter »

etout00 wrote: If you are uncertain whether you'll like the taste from a conical vs. flat burr you can also try a OE Pharos (which in my opinion is indistinguishable from a K10 in the cup).
Your entire posting was right on, but I singled this out, as for a fraction of the cost of a huge conical, he could have terrific manual grinder (Pharos) with Titan sized conical burrs for HIS use. If he decides conical is his thing, he can either keep it and purchase an electric Titan conical, sell it and purchase a large flat burr such as a Major, etc.
The investment in the Pharos would save him a LOT of money if it turns out he's not enamored with the flavors that are showcased via conical.

I never had the 'floating' adjustment problems with my Varios after nearly 4 years. I now have a Baratza Forte, and have posted some commentary.
I had 2 SJ, and for the HOME, no way I'd go back.
I compare the Forte favorably to another terrific grinder, the Mahlkonig K30, at a far less cost.
If size is no problem, no way you can lose with a Robur, but our OP wants to keep it down to a dull roar! :lol: