Baratza Preciso or Sette or Vario, or just a Breville?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TundraSpyder

#1: Post by TundraSpyder »

So the quest for my first grinder continues.
Choices are rocky, Vario, sette, or just try a breville 820 smart grinder to learn?

None are ideal. The preciso appeared to be ideal but it has been discontinued. I need the smaller foot print on the counter.

That being said, I found a preciso new in a box and I am wondering if it is worth the $349 price tag they are asking?
Or for that price, just get an unattractive rocky, or buy the new sette.

I am just learning, have a gaggia classic and will grind for espresso and also for chemex.

TundraSpyder (original poster)

#2: Post by TundraSpyder (original poster) »

Ok cant figure how to edit the post. After some reading I have ruled out the Rocky.

So I guess the question is:
Is a Preciso worth $350 or are they asking too much.
Is the Sette a wiser investment, or should I just make the wife angry and order a Vario?

Or save all that, get a Breville and plan on upgrading later if I stick with it?

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

I would say definitely do not buy a Preciso for $350. You can get a refurbished Vario for LESS, or a refurb Vario with Steel Burrs for nearly the same price direct from baratza.. this would be my choice for drip.

For espresso, I would say discount the Rocky, skip the expensive Preciso, and get the Sette which has received great reviews for espresso.

tglodjo

#4: Post by tglodjo »

If it helps, I sold my Vario to buy a Sette--and I do not regret it at all. So I would definitely recommend it over the others, though it's in a similar class as the Vario, so you can't really go wrong there either. Do not assume that the Sette is a "lesser" grinder because it's cheaper. In terms of result in the cup, both the Vario and Sette have competed against grinders over $1K. The Sette is the newer grinder, so people are still posting their experiences and there's not a solid consensus, though many early impressions have claimed it's close to best in cup from the Baratza line--Vario uses flat ceramic burrs, so it produces a different profile but on a similar level. The reason I sold my Vario for the Sette is because 1) ease of use and adjustment, 2) speed, and 3) little to no retention. With my Vario, if I wanted to move from my espresso settings for some pour over, it took me a few sink shots to get the burrs settled back to espresso. With the Sette, I no longer have that issue because the burrs adjust differently. YMMV, but I think you can't go wrong with either the Sette or Vario, and if money is an issue, just go for the one you can get a better deal on. Varios have been going in the Buy Sale Trade forums here and at Coffeegeek for around $300 (at least that's what I sold mine for).

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

Of the grinders you've listed, Sette or Vario for sure. Used Varios are amazing bargains right now.

MikFlores300

#6: Post by MikFlores300 »

Since you mentioned Chemex brewing, get a Sette and find another brew grinder, or choose the Vario. I can't make my Sette brew for Chemex to save my life.

tglodjo

#7: Post by tglodjo replying to MikFlores300 »

I'm wondering if the range can be adjusted, sort of like how the Vario could be calibrated (though it would be a little more complicated with the Sette). I'm currently grinding for espresso at 7-8 macro. If I could get the macro espresso range to around 3, I bet I could do small batch Chemex. I know some have had to install shims to make it go fine enough for espresso. I wonder if they can also be removed to extend the range?

#8: Post by TundraSpyder (original poster) »

Looked at the refurbs on baratza a site. They appear in stock until you try to buy one :-(

#9: Post by TundraSpyder (original poster) »

MikFlores300 wrote:Since you mentioned Chemex brewing, get a Sette and find another brew grinder, or choose the Vario. I can't make my Sette brew for Chemex to save my life.
They both seem to have issues performing one or the other task. Most frustrating.

Compass Coffee

#10: Post by Compass Coffee »

If I was in your shoes I'd get the Sette 270 (not W) for espresso and wait for a refurb Virtuoso to be available for gravity brewed duties. Of course while waiting to snag a refurb Virtuoso you may find the 270 works for your gravity brewed needs. (I've tested both the 270 and 270W extensively for espresso but not for gravity brewed of any kind.)
Mike McGinness