Baratza Maestro Plus at Goodwill: Should I Bother?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I spotted a Maestro Plus on a shelf at Goodwill for 20 bucks. I couldn't help but investigate; plugged it in, it sounded like it worked, although in retrospect I realized I didn't actually look inside to watch the burrs spin. Pulse button worked, timer knob worked, hopper stayed on and adjustment clicks seemed to work as they should. If I could find a set for sale (they're not on the Baratza Parts webpage), could I fit Encore burrs in there?

$20 was just enough for me to leave it behind, but now I'm thinking about going back and seeing if it's still there. Of course, new burrs would be $22 before shipping, and if anything more than that turned out to be necessary it would definitely not be worth it, given that a brand new Encore would only be a few bucks more. But let's say all it needed was new burrs. Would it be worth, say, fixing up and leaving at my parents' house ostensibly as a gift, but really for my own use when I visit? :wink:

LaDan

#2: Post by LaDan »

I'd think so. Yes. A new one is what, ~$130? It's not just a few bucks more. If it turns out that it requires more TLC, sell it on eBay for parts or "as it is" and spell out what you find wrong with it so the next buyer can make an educated honest purchase.

Advertisement
SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#3: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

wellll... a new one was ~$130, but technically this model is now obsolete, having been replaced by the Encore, which has a stronger gearbox and upgraded burrs. It's not illogical to venture a guess that Encore burrs would fit inside a Maestro, and that this is actually why they're not for sale as spare parts by Baratza, i.e. to influence people to buy the new grinder rather than just upgrade their burrs. At any rate the Maestro burrs are still for sale. But if the Maestro gearbox was really that weak, maybe this grinder will need repair there too, which is, I don't know, another $20. In the end, with shipping and all, it would be about the cost of a fully-functioning "used" one, although then again there'd be no guarantee with something used, and my frankenMaestro would at least have new parts and would be a fun project I suppose.

Anyone owned one of these and had it break down?

EricBNC

#4: Post by EricBNC »

I used a Maestro for over a year and put six months of use on a Virtuoso - no failures for me. I know two people who have Baratza grinders older than mine but haven't reported any gearbox failures either. For $20 (burrs might be fine - can't tell till you grind) this is a steal for a decent back up grinder.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#5: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

Welp, now I know. Congrats to whichever one of you is the skunk that read these posts and ran out to Goodwill and snagged my grinder. :x

Just kidding. I guess it either got shuffled to another store or I'm not actually the only thrifter in Connecticut that's familiar with Baratza. Went back this morning and it was gone. From now on, if/when I see a great brand: No hesitation!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

As a regular thrift store shopper, I'm not at all surprised that it was gone when you went back. That happens all the time so I usually will end up buying something if I think I might want it, or at least make the decision on my first trip.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272