Baratza Forte for the La Marzocco Linea Mini?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gfcronus

#1: Post by Gfcronus »

I'm trying to decide on a grinder to pair with a high-end machine like a LM Linea Mini. I've waffled between a Mahlkonig K30, a Compak E6 or E8 even, Macap M7D, Ceado, and the new Fiorenzato 64E. But I think all of those might be too large for the kitchen counter and my wife's final say-so. At the very least, none of them would fit under our kitchen cabinets (16.5"), even with short hoppers fixed.

I know what they say....grinder, grinder, grinder...the Barazta Forte AP seems well regarded on this site. Sexy looking, good reputation, and it's certainly small enough to fit where I'd like it to go. The question is: am I short-changing a machine like the Linea Mini with this grinder? Or am I mostly at a point of diminishing returns where a grinder like the K30 or Compak E8 is only going to give me marginal improvement for the extra cost (and size)?

Thanks for any insight.

sarends

#2: Post by sarends »

I have a Forte BG and a Quick Mill Lucca M58. The Forte is my 1st grinder and the Lucca is my 1st espresso machine, so I consider myself a bit of a novice yet, although I do think things through pretty thoroughly as a rule.

The Forte (BG or AP) is a good (at the very least) espresso grinder. It is a great brew grinder. Baratza is also an excellent company - I have bought 4 other grinders from them for my kids.

However, for espresso, I am grinding close to "0" almost all the time. If I don't, my shots pull too fast. Also, for what it's worth, I find that I am constantly having to adjust the grind by what I consider a considerable amount to keep my shots tasting good, and to keep my shots extracted nicely. I have the ceramic burrs which I could install, but haven't, but probably will, depending upon how long t takes to get my next grinder (see below).

While thinking all this through I was able to do an A-B with my Forte BG vs a Mahlkonig Peak (at Harbinger coffee here in Fort Collins one morning - thx again Jonathon) and the Peak was better - richer, more body, more taste. Again, the Forte was using the metal burrs. Jonathon at Harbinger (whom I respect immensely) thought we were getting "decent" shots out of the Forte and didn't think I had any immediate urgency to get another espresso grinder.

However, I couldn't get the taste difference out of my mind, even if it wasn't "night and day", it was memorable.

I will keep the Forte for brew coffee but I decided to purchase a Terranova Titus (on order). I realize I am taking a big jump form the Forte to a Titus, but here is what priorities I used for my decision:

1) Reduce wasting of beans (Titus has almost zero retention vs Forte at 8+ grams)
2) Ability to change beans without intermingling of prior shots
3) Consistency (I feel the Forte's calibration moves around allot). I have heard consistency is one of the strengths of the Titus
4) Reasonable foot print and attractive (also known as "wife factor")
5) Long lasting - built well

I can't speak personally re. the other grinders you are considering but I have a feeling, from what I have read, that many/most of those you listed would be a step up from the Forte for espresso, some more than others, again, depending upon your priorities.

If I hadn't decided on the Titus I would have either gotten: a) a Versalab M3 (and had Terranova improve it) or b) Waited to see how others like the (yet to be released) Lynn Weber EG-1

Best of luck!

ilVecchio

#3: Post by ilVecchio »

The AP is an excellent grinder for espresso, very consistent. Adjustment of the burrs for finer grinding, if necessary, is quite simple with the provided tool, and Baratza's customer support is superb.

We used my Forte AP extensively at our Tucson gathering; there were no complaints. Shots held up well when compared with the HG-One and two large Compaqs. Any differences in shot quality are subtle.

JavaRanger

#4: Post by JavaRanger »

My $0.02 As I have a Forte and a Profitec Pro 700.

I really like the forte I usually fill the hopper with beans for a day or two and then Grind into the container to my desired weight. Then use an Orphan Espresso funnel to get the dose into the portafilter.

It's small, looks nice and does a good job. If you find it doesn't grind fine enough you can calibrate it.

Is it as good as a K30, I would say no, but it's about $600 cheaper. You can also find them used for about $600.

Customer support is awesome Colin helped my calibrate mine. Even called me a few days later to see how it grinding.

As someone point when I am allotted more space and budget I would love a K30 but i am really happy with the Forte. Which in my household is 4 drinking on weekdays and 8-10 on Saturday and Sunday.

malling

#5: Post by malling »

The Forte and its cheaper little sister the Vario produce good espresso (using the same burrs), but neither are able of delivering the same consistency nor is these burrs capable of pulling the same quality out of the beans as more expensive grinders with bigger and better burrs.

For many on these forums a Baratza grinder is what they start out with these days, the grinders are good value for money and the vario and forte punches above their weight, meaning these grinders deliver a quality of espresso comparable to a Super jolly, Compak k6. But you can get better then that if you want to spend more money, especially on the consistency front.

K30 although only having slightly larger burrs deliver a quality as those with 75/83mm burrs is the shortest one, the k30 is a bulletproof grinder with tight manufacturing tolerance and allot of uses love it for that, it's low retention and it deliver high quality in the cup. It is in my humble opinion the flat burr grinder to get if one does not have the cash for a Mythos or doesn't fancy the espresso pulled from ek and r120

Gfcronus (original poster)

#6: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) »

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am going to pull the trigger tonight I think. It'll be between the Forte and the Eureka Zenith 65E. Perhaps I will start with the Forte, then move it over to brew/drip duty later down the road when I feel like upgrading. I see an HG One in my future at some point. :)

Séb

#7: Post by Séb »

In the last few months, my friend and I have made two blind tastings sessions of espresso with K30 VS Forte AP. We did two series of two espresso each, tasted blind and made with a Londinium L1. The first time with did it, surprisingly the Forte was the winner for both of us....to our surprise! But the K30 was brand new while my Forte was about one year old and perfectly seasonned. Then, last week we did again the same re-match. This time, my friend did prefer my Forte and i did prefer his K30! But we both agree that it was a very close match and quite difficult in fact to find notable differences in the cup. I remember that i said i would be happy with any one of theses two grinders for the "in the cup" quality.

However, they are quite different and if i had the money, the K30 would be my pick between theses two for the following reasons:

Much less noise
Much faster
Ultra robust construction
Easier and faster to adjust the grind
Grind look more uniform
Better look
Higher duty cycle