Baratza Encore vs. Virtuoso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
gbduarte

#1: Post by gbduarte »

Hi!

A small shop wants to start selling my coffee. I will suggest them using one 1-3 Cup Chemex and one 6 cup as well, one Bonavita kettle w/ temp. control, an Hario scale and as for grinder I'm not sure if the Encore is good enough of if it's worth the extra cash for the Virtuoso. They also plan so sell my 6oz. coffee bags at their place and grind it if the client demands.

Can you please offer me your advice, as for the Encore Vs. Virtuoso or any other that might help this collaboration succeed?

Thanks a lot guys,

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

Encore is good for drip and the best "budget" grinder in that range, but the Virtuoso is still better, you get the Preciso burr set which grinds better and has more fines control.

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I'm not sure about the durability of those grinders for commercial use. I've heard of Baratza Varios or Fortes for low volume use in cafes. But it depends on frequency of use. Others on the forum will have a better idea about using a Virtuoso or Encore in a shop.

I have a Vario but don't feel it's robust enough for daily use in a cafe. I could be wrong.

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

Surprisingly there's a nice shop by my wife's fam house in MI that has I think 5 Varios (all with steel burrs) that are each dialed in for pour over and press and maybe drip not sure there, asked if he had any trouble and said no has had them for over a year. I noticed they had two different beans for pour over last time and each had its own grinder. Espresso grinding I can't remember what they had. And this is a constantly busy shop. Told him I have one at home for espresso lol.

No clue about the Encore and Virtuoso though in that setting.

Nate42

#5: Post by Nate42 »

Virtuoso is definitely way better in the cup than encore. I am in fact drinking a ground by encore french press cup right now, and I'm not a fan. Its the grinder I co-own with several people at work, couldn't get them to spring for better.

Virtuoso is actually probably more mechanically robust than Vario since it has a simpler adjustment mechanism, fewer things to break. Still, it is not designed for even light commercial duty. I broke the plastic burr carrier in my encore (same piece used in virtuoso) after a couple years of once daily usuage. That could easily translate to a couple months in more frequent use. They should spring for a Bunn, or a Forte BG, or something.

gbduarte (original poster)

#6: Post by gbduarte (original poster) »

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your experiences and thoughts! Really.
Asking the clients to transition to something better is not viable right now ($$), but after your comments I will really push for the Virtuoso then.
I understand that it might break in a few months but for now, since they're only starting and testing the market, it must do the job.

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee »

I'll agree the Virtuoso produces a higher quality grind than the Encore. I wouldn't call it a huge difference. THE bigger difference even in a light commercial setting is the Encore is roughly twice as slow as the Virtuoso.

I disagree the Virtuoso wasn't intended for commercial use, else the Esatto would not have been invented specifically for pour over bar work. That said it most definitely is NOT of normal robust commercial build. In addition to the upper burr carrier another common failure point is the nylon burr drive gear stripping. Baratza will say it's not I say otherwise based on using 3 Virtuoso/Esatto combos for pour over bar a few years and replacing at least 10 drive gears. After I used up the 1st 6 replacement gears I purchased and went to order more they sent me a dozen more free of charge. Of course this was after trying to get me to upgrade to multiple Fortes. Instead for far less money I keep a spare Virtuoso/Esatto setup ready to go when one goes down and needs repair again.

Oh and just bought a 2nd EK43. :lol:
Mike McGinness

Nate42

#8: Post by Nate42 »

Compass Coffee wrote:I'll agree the Virtuoso produces a higher quality grind than the Encore. I wouldn't call it a huge difference. THE bigger difference even in a light commercial setting is the Encore is roughly twice as slow as the Virtuoso.

I disagree the Virtuoso wasn't intended for commercial use, else the Esatto would not have been invented specifically for pour over bar work. That said it most definitely is NOT of normal robust commercial build.
The Virtuoso/Esatto combo may well be intended for commercial use, but as an engineer I will still argue it wasn't designed for it. A crucial distinction. :) I don't like to bag on Baratza too much because they are the best thing going at their price point, but I don't like their easy breaking plastic parts even for home use. I tolerate them cause I'm cheap but I don't like it.

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Nate42 »

I don't disagree. Note I didn't say designed for but rather said intended for commercial use (in addition to home use.) I also did say not of normal robust commercial build!
Mike McGinness

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

Compass Coffee wrote:for but rather said intended for commercial use (in addition to home use.) I also did say not of normal robust commercial build!
I understood your point, just restated it in a more smartass manner, as I am wont to do. :)