Baratza alternatives

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tkn

#1: Post by tkn »

So our Baratza keeps jamming up whenever we turn the knob finer than 30. We've been back and forth with the company which has really tried to help, but it just keeps happening.

So we want something that can handle the same range of drip to espresso. I keep reading a lot between the Mazzer Mini (better at espresso, lots of waste and mess) and Anfim Best (flat burrs may be slightly less good)...

Any others to throw into the mix, or other considerations? Appreciate any help navigating through the murky depths of grinders.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

Are you grinding beans when you adjust it finer?
Chris

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

What he said. I don't think you are going to find a better line of grinders for the going from espresso, to drip to press and back. Really tho you should at least upgrade to a Preciso, and what version of Virtuoso do you have? (i.e. did you buy it a few years ago or within the last year?)

da gino

#4: Post by da gino »

I finally gave up trying to find a grinder that could do both and opted for a dedicated espresso grinder and a cheap Baratza for drip. I came to the conclusion that there is no perfect grinder for all uses. If there is I have never used it.

Time_Bandit

#5: Post by Time_Bandit »

Ever consider an OE Pharos? $245 and 68mm conical burrs. Would make a nice espresso-only grinder IMHO.

If you don't mind the extra minute for turning a crank that is...

For me, even if I have an electric espresso grinder, I will have the Pharos too.

For example, I own a Capresso Infinity for press as an electric, but also have the OE LIDO for manual. WHenever I want a superior press grind I pull out the LIDO... the other half the time when I am trying to save the extra couple of minutes I use the Infinity. I like having the option.... if I didn't have a job and kids I probably would use the LIDO every time! LOL.... this work thing real gets in the way of my personal life.... :lol:

tkn (original poster)

#6: Post by tkn (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:Are you grinding beans when you adjust it finer?
Is that what I am supposed to do? I usually just turn it to fine and start it up...
Intrepid510 wrote:What he said. I don't think you are going to find a better line of grinders for the going from espresso, to drip to press and back. Really tho you should at least upgrade to a Preciso, and what version of Virtuoso do you have? (i.e. did you buy it a few years ago or within the last year?)
Years ago. The Preciso has different burrs, right? Can you just change out the burrs on the Virtuoso?
da gino wrote:I finally gave up trying to find a grinder that could do both and opted for a dedicated espresso grinder and a cheap Baratza for drip. I came to the conclusion that there is no perfect grinder for all uses. If there is I have never used it.
In general we make Aeropress on a daily basis, but my wife has been getting serious about espresso and we got an Alex Duetto II to use for that. So going back and forth is key - and we definitely don't want two grinders.

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

The vario will do you right for repeated changes to the grind, but convenience wise, a second grinder will be better for different methods. I use a capresso infinity for drip and press, and a vario, ascaso i1 or i2, or most recently a mazzer SJ for espresso depending on machine and regular/decaf. Its a lot easier to not need to dial in every time you go back to the espresso range.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#8: Post by Intrepid510 »

If you are using the hopper filled with beans, then not running the grinder while turning is probably causing your immediate problem.

As far as the Virtuoso being able to grind for espresso, you can change out the burrs for the new ones just go to the Baratza.com. The amount you are able to adjust with the Virtuoso will limit you especially with that machine you should consider something better, however your current grinder will certainly work especially if you get the new burrs. Plus if you had for a few years it might be due anyway!

Bob_McBob

#9: Post by Bob_McBob »

tkn wrote:Is that what I am supposed to do? I usually just turn it to fine and start it up...
If you make a large adjustment to a finer setting with partially ground beans in the grind path (e.g. full hopper operation), they can be compacted between the burrs tightly enough to make the motor stall. Most espresso grinders should be running while adjusting the grind setting finer, especially for a large adjustment. This is probably the cause of your stalling issues.
Chris

EricBNC

#10: Post by EricBNC »

Intrepid510 wrote:If you are using the hopper filled with beans, then not running the grinder while turning is probably causing your immediate problem.

As far as the Virtuoso being able to grind for espresso, you can change out the burrs for the new ones just go to the Baratza.com. The amount you are able to adjust with the Virtuoso will limit you especially with that machine you should consider something better, however your current grinder will certainly work especially if you get the new burrs. Plus if you had for a few years it might be due anyway!
No need to change the burrs really. The older Virtuoso burrs look a lot like the OE Lido burrs. Reports I read consider the espresso grind from the Lido to be sufficient so the older Virtuoso burrs should be too. I know I was able to pull decent shots with my older style Virtuoso before upgrading. The steps were a bigger issue than the grind quality.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"