Backflush detergent advice

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Idfixe

Postby Idfixe » Jan 09, 2017, 11:22 pm

Any advice/recommendation for backflush detergent?

Thanks

Jared

Postby Jared » Jan 09, 2017, 11:52 pm

Cafiza is what I use.

TxHr

Postby TxHr » Jan 10, 2017, 12:52 am

On my Slayer, I remove the screen, put the screw back in the group head and flush with water every weekend. Once a month I use Cafiza. Your Teflon shower screen can be cleaned with hot water and a soft toothbrush, no chemicals. Fellow HBer, Shadowfax was kind enough to do a video on Slayer's self cleaning function.

Brandon

brianmch

Postby brianmch » Jan 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Bar Keepers friend uses citric acid which dissolves coffee oils well. Has been suitable to backflush and generally clean my Livia for several years.

bluesman

Postby bluesman » Jan 11, 2017, 1:48 pm

I've been using Ascaso backflush detergent for years - it's kept several machines clean and functional for me. The link is to 1st-Line (where I usually get my supplies), but a Google search turns up many sources.

jwCrema

Postby jwCrema » Jan 12, 2017, 1:20 am

Whatever you choose, always make sure to keep the ratio of soap to water at the manufacturer's recommendation. And be sure to fully dissolve it in the water before using it.

I use Carfiza, then flush with plain water with a citric acid rinse thrown in to remove that soft water/ soap feel on parts that TSP leaves.

shanec

Postby shanec » Jan 12, 2017, 2:54 am

Assuming you are going to use this cleaner for the portafilter and cleaning other tools, please be careful about what it touches. You will find stories of people here complaining about damage to aluminum, bakelite plastic, tampers, etc.

kolu

Postby kolu » Jan 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

Cafiza, Pulycaf, or any other coffee detergents in powder form*, come usually packed with a foaming agent that activates when the dry powder gets into a contact with water. So please use it according to the manufacturers instruction - dry powder in portafilter, lock into grouphead, engage pump for 10-15 sec, disengage, repeat... This foamy action actually makes the cleaner come through the pipes and do much better job of cleaning than when you dissolve the detergent first.

*This of course doesn't apply for liquid detergents like Ascor LC which are already supplied as a liquid. And are not very suitable for backflushing...

And rinse, rinse, rinse...

Idfixe

Postby Idfixe » Jan 12, 2017, 9:54 pm

TxHr wrote:On my Slayer, I remove the screen, put the screw back in the group head and flush with water every weekend. Once a month I use Cafiza. Your Teflon shower screen can be cleaned with hot water and a soft toothbrush, no chemicals. Fellow HBer, Shadowfax was kind enough to do a video on Slayer's self cleaning function.

Brandon

That is what I'm concerned about: balance between using chemicals to make things clean vs breaking something because detergent is too hard... for home use i'd like to minimi ze chemical use...

keno

Postby keno » Jan 12, 2017, 10:27 pm

Commercial grade machines and many machines intended for home use (e.g., E61) are designed to be back flushed with detergent. Coffee oils can really gunk things up and can turn rancid. Back flushing won't hurt anything and will keep your machine working properly and pulling tasty shots. With a powdered detergent you don't need much for it to do the job - maybe a quarter teaspoon.