Are KYM bakelite grinders any good?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zix

#1: Post by zix »

Have been looking at eBay KYM grinder offerings for a couple of days, and it seems like the KYM bakelite grinders in general are priced higher than the wooden ones. Like this one for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html/?_nkw=ky ... %20grinder

It looks really nice, but can it grind for espresso, and... would it stand up to daily use? Or is it just something that collectors like because of the nice design. Does someone here have some experience with the Bakelite models?
LMWDP #047

grog

#2: Post by grog »

I didn't see one of the Bakelite models in the link you posted, but yes, in my experience they do work for espresso. As far as I know there are two versions: the small white 'milly' (also sometimes seen in green and salmon) which appears to have been intended as a travel grinder; and the larger brown ones which remind me of a knight from a chess set. The Millies can often be found for around 30 bucks, while the 'knights' are at least double that.

As with any vintage hand grinder, there is no guarantee that a given example will 'definitely' grind for espresso...but I've had excellent luck with Kyms, have both of the aforementioned models, and the ones I own grind to Turkish powder.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

+1. They must cost more because buyers consider Bakelite items to be more collectible. But they work like any other KyM mill.

My experience is with an older model:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21519888@N ... 3513005389

The grinding mechanism is identical to a wooden KyM mill from the era and is capable of espresso. Personally, I like a hand grinder with a wide based for espresso, especially if I am using lightly roasted beans. So ergonomically speaking, this is my favorite KyM mill:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21519888@N ... 3513005389

But the Bakelite model is one of my favorite designs. While I do think the Bakelite models are capable of holding up to daily use, I've never used one for weeks or months on end.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#4: Post by orphanespresso »

Small note - vintage bakelite does not ever come in white. As Bakelite (or any vintage phenolic resin) ages, it's color tends to change/deepen. Tans will become browns, white becomes butterscotch, yellows tend to green - red stays red, and black stays black. White would be plastic, not Bakelite. Watch out for cracks on vintage Bakelite grinders.

zix (original poster)

#5: Post by zix (original poster) »

I seem to have made two mistakes here: first of all, posting in "buying advice" instead of "grinders" forum. Well - it is a kind of buying advice, but still, not quite what I intended. Secondly, posting a faulty link. Sorry!
Yes, it is the brown "chess knight" kind I am talking about - item number 290850432555 on eBay is the one I tried to link to.
Oooh, cracks in the bakelite would not be good at all, especially if they crack in the wrong place, like for instance in the inner chute where the lower burr is.

Perhaps better off looking for that 'ergonomical' one. It is a beauty!
LMWDP #047

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

Mats - check your PMs- plenty of vintage grinders here on the big lake for you to try.
Jack
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

zix (original poster)

#7: Post by zix (original poster) »

Looking good, PC!
Thanks for moving the thread, HB!
LMWDP #047