Any reason I should NOT buy a ECM Synchronika

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jvbraun

#1: Post by Jvbraun »

After fantastic help from so many on this forum I have learned a ton and narrowed down my purchase to the ECM Synchronika Dual Boiler Espresso Machine.

Pretty committed to getting this machine as a serious upgrade from the Breville Barista Express.

Is there any reason I should NOT buy this machine? I may just be blinded by how excited I am to have a proper machine.....let me know I can take it....haha

Thanks
Jeff

Jvbraun (original poster)

#2: Post by Jvbraun (original poster) »

Well 51 people looked at this and NO one said don't buy it...so I am going to pull the trigger tonight and order it.
Can't wait
Thanks to all for help and advice
Jeff

avid

#3: Post by avid »

Jeff,

Best wishes for many great coffees with your new ECM Synchronika. How long did you make it with your Barista Express? I have been using a Breville Infuser for a year now. The DW says I probably will have the green light for a new espresso machine for my birthday this fall. ECM is one of the makers whose machines look real interesting.

Jvbraun (original poster)

#4: Post by Jvbraun (original poster) »

I made it only 4 months with the Barista Express. Being an engineer and many Excel sheets, timers, scales and experimenting in that my wife calls my "coffee lab" I am using the excuse that its the equipment holding me back. So the Baratza Sette 270w is at the house and soon the ECM......Its likely my lack of skill but the equipment is so cool I can't resist.

osel

#5: Post by osel »

I was looking at ECM myself, but Classica, as I do mostly just 1-2 shots of espresso daily, and am on the budget.

I am concerned about reliability and service. I saw some threads on this forum about problems with the machine few weeks/months in. I wonder what the most reliable and best serviced brand is from the good machines. It seems Rocket, QuickMill and a couple of others make very similar machines.

Faspaz

#6: Post by Faspaz »

DON'T BUY IT!!!!

Seriously, I was down to the Synchronika and the Linea Mini and I finally opted for the latter. Yes, the LM is $1500 more, but you get a better group, better steaming, better service and repair, better accessories, better reliability, better reputation and better espresso. Plus, the Synchronika rattles when the pump activates. It was not a hard decision after I thought it through.

kpmd2000

#7: Post by kpmd2000 »

Love my Synchronika. I've had it for 3 months along with my ceado e37s and could not be happier. Absolutely no complaints and producing a great extraction using the included basket. I even sent the included single pf to acme coffee to saw off the the spout to make a perfect bottomless pf. Ideal machine. Simple to use and great for steaming with the 2 hole spout. So much better than my old breville. Enjoy!

appfrent

#8: Post by appfrent »

If you are looking for bare-bone espresso machine with minimal electronics and superior build quality, ECM is for you. If you care about fine electronic controls and latest marvels of engineering, look somewhere else. I specifically sought ECM technika its lack of any electronic junk. Of course it also has high quality built and extremely robust and thermostable design. The result in cup are excellent and highly reproducible for me. I don't think I will need any other machine for a long time. Of course speedster, slayer, GS/3 are far superior. However, I personally do not see value in what those extra $$$ bring.
Note: Servicing of all or any espresso machines is going to be PITA given their weight. The goal should be to buy one that will not require any or is easiest to self service (all other things being equal).
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

EDChris

#9: Post by EDChris »

Synchronika is a sweet machine. The only reason not to get one is if you want to go cheaper (e.g. Vetrano 2B, Profitec Pro) and all that entails, or if you "need" one of the higher end features (e.g. Slayer/KVDM style pre-infusion).

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner »

Faspaz wrote:DON'T BUY IT!!!!

Seriously, I was down to the Synchronika and the Linea Mini and I finally opted for the latter. Yes, the LM is $1500 more, but you get a better group, better steaming, better service and repair, better accessories, better reliability, better reputation and better espresso. Plus, the Synchronika rattles when the pump activates. It was not a hard decision after I thought it through.
Really, ONLY $1500 more? Just pocket change! I really doubt that most of your other assertions can be proven...especially "better espresso."
Scott
LMWDP #248