Any Home Manual Espresso Machine recommendations?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
anteloperolls

#1: Post by anteloperolls »

Hello, all!
I'm fairly new to this community and I'm looking for the perfect match. I was recommended by a friend, that I should look at the Gaggia machines. I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations. I reside in Vienna, Austria, so not all machines are locally available - but I'll take what I can get! My requirements for a home espresso machine: manual, stainless steel, not too big, and has a milk steamer. I've been using the old beloved Bialetti for years now - I just decided that it's time for an upgrade. My budget is approx. 300 EUR ($350.)

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

Have you seen the newbie introduction videos?
Newbie Introduction to Espresso
They're a great startpoint if you're new.

After seeing the video, you might be able to better formulate to yourself what you want and what you need.

For the mentioned 300 euros, it is possible to get excellent espresso equipment around your budget, but you need to be good at fixing old stuff and not mind a rather laborious process. I'm talking about a secondhand vintage La Pavoni (or similar, but you need the steam) that you need to overhaul yourself and an old hand grinder, which you also need to overhaul yourself. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think that's for you. Because those that really want to take this route have usually found that all out themselves.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."