Any experience with the Bellman CX-25E Electric

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
meshane

#1: Post by meshane »

I'm an absolute beginner. I'm thinking to get a Bellman CX-25 for learning to create good microfoam. Will the electric version work, or do I really need the stovetop version. Also, I've noticed that some come with a pressure gauge and some do not. I'm unclear how important that is to getting quality microfoam from the Bellman. Any advice?

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

pressure gauges are probably not important, but would be nice to have. I think the electric would work as long as it can boil water. There seem to have been many similar devices made through the years, I can only assume they work. I believe the stovetop and electric versions are otherwise identical.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Though I have heard reports of people mastering milk texturing with a Bellman, I've also heard a lot of reports of frustration. This is probably not the easiest way to texture milk, it might be easier to find a thrift store pump espresso machine and use the steam wand on that, at least you'll probably get one with a removable tip that you can put an acorn nut that's been drilled out on to make it easier.

I tried, and failed with a Bellman and found it much easier to texture milk on a Gaggia Factory lever which is not reputed to be very easy to use for milk.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

coffeedom

#4: Post by coffeedom »

I have both versions of the stovetop Bellman - with pressure gauge and without. Definitely the one without gauge is better for steaming milk. The pressure gauge is unnecessary and that model doesn't get up to as high pressure as the simpler milk-only model (from what I can tell).

I haven't tried the electric one but if the internal heater is greater than 1000 W it is likely to be more powerful than can be achieved on a stovetop.

Reports of difficulties using a Bellman are exaggerated in my opinion. Good microfoam can be had on it quite easily, as it is a boiler with a steam arm, just like on any decent espresso machine. It just uses a one-hole tip instead of 2-4 as on most machines. The one hole makes it slower, but the steam pressure can get quite high (up to 2.5 bar) and this compensates. The steam is also very dry, which is good. This is in contrast to any cheap pump machine which will usually offer you wet and sputtery steam, and lousy texturing. Anything from the Gaggia Baby/Classic on down will be worse than a Bellman. To beat a Bellman in terms of power and consistent clean output of steam, you need a proper SBDU machine like a Silvia or anything above that.

When I'm away from my MCaL the Bellman is my primary steamer and while it's a bit slow it works great. Just fill it up half way and use a really hot heat source (or an electric version). The technique to get microfoam is a little different - you have to move the wand a bit more to incorporate the milk - but the results are surprisingly good. There are a couple youtube videos showing this if you poke around.