Advice on Espresso Machine Upgrade, Budget $3600

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeMan9000

#1: Post by CoffeeMan9000 »

Hello All,

I have had a Silvia for almost 15 years. I want a new machine that will provide the following:

Better quality shots with less voodoo - I would rarely need more than four shots in a session;
Faster ability to steam milk after pulling shot(s) - I am leaning toward a dual boiler but open to HX - the machine will not be beside a sink;
Not giant - the Londinium appeals but is 22" front to back. I have a wife (and a compact house);
Budget - < ca $3,600; (UPDATED)
I have an (unsed) HG-1, a Tranquilo and a Rocky, grinder-wise.

TIA,

John

caldwa

#2: Post by caldwa »

Are you looking to plumb-in the machine, or use a tank?

If you're looking for a tank machine, on the less expensive side I'd consider the Breville Dual Boiler, and on the more expensive side I'd consider the La Spaziale Dream T. The Dream T is going to offer quite a bit more steaming capacity, and is built like a tank to last. However, the BDB is IMO a pretty great deal for the price, and has a lot of similar features to the Dream T with regards to temperature and pressure control.

I owned a Mini Vivaldi (Dream T without the advanced computer) for 6 years and loved it, but recently downsized to the Breville and while the cup is different in some aspects with respects to the espresso development and composition (La Spaziale portafilter = 53mm, Breville = standard 58mm), there has been no discernible change in espresso quality. I make 2 espressos and 2 cappuccinos every morning, and the Breville can handle it (and the Dream T certainly would, easily).

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

Since in Canada check out Caffetech. Quick Mill QM 67 DB would just squeak in under ca $2500. If you can stretch the budget the Quick Mill Vetrano 2B would be even better with larger tank, optionally plumbed in future, better steaming performance, and quieter longer lasting rotary pump.
Mike McGinness

nickw

#4: Post by nickw »

What sort of length are you looking for?
I have an L1 and it fits on standard counters with no issues.

You also may want to consider idrinkcoffee.com
They're right down the road from you and stock almost everything. You'll be able to look at and demo the machines, and since they offer free shipping, perhaps receive a discount by buying in person.

Cheers!

CoffeeMan9000 (original poster)

#5: Post by CoffeeMan9000 (original poster) »

Hello,

Well, as a flail about on the slippery slope of espresso machine upgrade, I wonder where and how to stop.

I have been considering prosumer levers - Londinium, Strega, as well as dual boilers - Profitec 700, et al. Then, I read the Cimbali Jr. review. The cost increment isn't large.

So, if walk up and make a great espresso and some wonderful milk, for big gulp cappuccinos, for the foreseeable future, say 20+ years, is the goal, with as little futzing as possible, what is the best solution?

TIA

John

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

CoffeeMan9000, I merged your new thread with your existing one on (nearly) the same subject. It helps readers help you if you have one thread with all your thoughts rather than several with a mix of thoughts. For those following along, below are CoffeeMan9000's other buying advice threads:

Quickmill Achilles vs. Elektra Microcasa a Leva
Salvatore Lever vs Londinium - Dipper vs Thermosiphon
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee »

Don't know what a big gulp cappuccino is since a cappuccino is a 5 to 6oz beverage. That said and since the new question has zero $ parameters for best walk up shot temp stability and maximum commercial grade steam power for those big gulp whatevers (lattes?) with least amount of futzing possible I'd say a La Marzocco GS3 would be about the lowest cost best solution. The La Cimbali Junior would be a very good HX contender with more futzing for shot temp but not excessive futzing and very good steam power for less $.

Or go with one of my 2 suggestions from 6 days ago for substantially less $ at the expense of much less steam power QM67 or less steam power V2B. Both capable of very good walk up shots with minimal futzing, short couple oz flush from idle done.
CoffeeMan9000 wrote:Hello,

Well, as a flail about on the slippery slope of espresso machine upgrade, I wonder where and how to stop.

I have been considering prosumer levers - Londinium, Strega, as well as dual boilers - Profitec 700, et al. Then, I read the Cimbali Jr. review. The cost increment isn't large.

So, if walk up and make a great espresso and some wonderful milk, for big gulp cappuccinos, for the foreseeable future, say 20+ years, is the goal, with as little futzing as possible, what is the best solution?

TIA

John
Mike McGinness

Advertisement
CoffeeMan9000 (original poster)

#8: Post by CoffeeMan9000 (original poster) »

I was unaware of the Cimbali-level products when I asked my first question, and my second. I read the review and then did more reading. I asked another question. I have learned a great deal as I have read on this forum and my concept has evolved.

My apologies to those that took offense.

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee replying to CoffeeMan9000 »

And my apologies for being short. Thing is you said your budget was $2500 and haven't actual said that has changed. I didn't take offense but rather was confused and annoyed by questions about machines conflicting with statements of what willing to spend. What are you willing to spend for ease of operation and quality build? I was serious when I said given the parameters you stated (without a $ limit) the GS3 was the minimum to go. Spend less and regardless which machine there will be compromises to the ideal. If your budget has indeed changed please say so and edit your original post title saying $2500 accordingly. Given the criteria you've stated and your original budget I stand by my earlier suggested machine(s). And FWIW there are a very many very satisfied users of those lesser than ideal machines.
Mike McGinness

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

If you're in the Toronto area, I highly recommend you visit some local retailers to see machines in person. Idrinkcoffee is in Milton. I bought my HX and grinders there since I live 25 minutes away. And wouldn't have to worry about shipping to buy or for service.

Also, Espresso Planet is nearby in Mississauga. Also Consiglio Kitchenware carries Vibiemme, Rocket, and more. Although I've never been there.

Seeing these machines in person could help with your search immensely.