Advice on espresso machine/grinder, max budget around $2300

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wvu_law_dawg

#1: Post by wvu_law_dawg »

Hello everyone. I've been reading the site for a few now, but this would be my first post. I'm posting to ask for some advice. I'm looking to purchase an espresso machine and grinder.

I would drink mostly straight shots with the occasional milk drink for myself. My wife would have the occasional milk drink. I don't entertain frequently, so volume is not really a huge concern for me. On an average day, I would probably drink between 4 to 6 shots (maybe more or less depending).

I would not be plumbing the machine in at present, so that really isn't a concern for me at present. If I had the option to plumb it in down the road, I'd be ok with that. However, it isn't something that is a deal break for me.

I'd like to try to get a machine with a rotary pump. My reason is for noise reduction and improved reliability. However, from what I can tell, most rotary machines are a little out of my reach. I'm very much ok with a vibratory pump.

HX v DB- I don't really have a preference one way or another for this.

I would like a machine with an E-61 grouphead.

Budget: My budget max is around 2.3k for a machine and grinder.

Machines I've considered:

1. Quickmill QM 67
2. Rocket Cellini V3 w/ PID
3. Expobar Brewtus IV R
4. Quickmill Andreja
5. Quickmill Anita

This list isn't exhaustive. I'm more than willing to consider another machine not on my list. Although, I'm not really interested in a lever machine, and I'd like to steer clear of the BDB due to reliability concerns.

As for the grinder...I think I've pretty much settled on the Baratza Vario. From what I've read, it seems like a good grinder.

Thank you all for reading my post. I do greatly appreciate your time.

P.S. I will have to order my machine offline as there are no vendors near me that I am aware of.

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

I think with your budget and needs, you would be best off with a HX machine (between HX and DB, that is). They are a bit cheaper than DB machines, primarily because there are less parts inside (I.e., they aren't less well built or a step down in quality). By going this route, you'd have more money left over for the grinder, which is a very important purchase. Basic rule is, buy the very best grinder you can possibly afford, and if you have to skimp, do it on the machine. Are you open to the idea of used gear? How would you feel about grinding manually? The "new" OE Pharos is about ready for release (pre-orders being accepted still, I think).
LMWDP #748

wvu_law_dawg (original poster)

#3: Post by wvu_law_dawg (original poster) replying to emradguy »

Thank you for responding. I think I'm leaning towards an HX machine now. Though, I think out of the ones I've been looking at, the DB QM 67 is about $100 more. Every penny counts though!!!

I'm not necessarily opposed to used equipment, but I'd prefer something with a warranty.

I actually hadn't really considered manual grinding. I don't know if I'd be opposed to it. I guess it is something that I'll definitely have to check out. Thanks again for the advice man.