Advice for a coffee pop up

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Acampbell9

#1: Post by Acampbell9 »

A few days ago I got the go ahead to start planning a coffee shop from my wife. I was extremely floored that she said go ahead for it, but I've been a barista for about two years and can sling out some pretty quality 'spro drinks. I currently have a coffee company that is tied in with the owner of the business, but would like to go into business for myself. I figure I shouldn't go all out for a shop the first go around with this, so I want to look into starting a pop up shop to gain a following and community support of it, then graduate to a cafe location. I'm looking to do espresso drinks, and maybe serve Nitro Coffee as my iced coffee option (It's quick and easy, and I have a bit of experience with it). I've been looking at the GS3 from LM, but have also been considering going with a single group Linea. I don't have a hatchback, nor am I going to be constantly lifting a two group around town. I also want to roast my own coffee to keep it fresh, but also to maximize my margins. What kind of setup would you guys recommend/would you even think this is a good idea to start out with? Also, I'm newly married and got close to nothing as far as money XD

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

I'd advise looking at some of the (extensive) threads already available here - there's well regarded pros in business, law and coffee all putting their 2 cents in and heaps of wisdom available :)
Might be worth waiting till you have enough funds to cater for the business not going well etc, but if you don't have to supply rent...

Espresso_Monkey

#3: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Good luck!

Almico

#4: Post by Almico replying to Espresso_Monkey »

There is way more to being in business than the ability to make a good cup of coffee. Planning is the key word. You need a business plan. Seek out the Small Business Development Center in your area and take some classes. You will learn much.

You need money to live and you need lots of money to start a business. If you don't have any, how are you going to buy a GS3 or Linea? How will you buy a roaster? How will you buy coffee, pay for supplies, food licensing fees, insurance, rent for space etc.?

If you have a job, keep it. Take classes at night and plan for running your pop up on weekends. You'll have to work 7 days a week for a long time before the business (hopefully) allows you to take the plunge and quit the job. This is easier when you're young, trust me.

Running a business and being your own boss is a worthy goal, but it is a lot harder than looks. There are a lot of necessary tasks that are far less pleasant than making coffee and chatting with customers.

It's an equally worthy goal to own your own home. But now that it's yours, you need to either have a pile of money to keep it up, or learn to be a plumber, electrician, carpenter, mason, roofer, HVAC expert etc. Owning a business is very similar. Lots of capital makes it easier. Starting with little is the hard way...very hard.

The first unpleasant task as a business owner is the business plan. It needs to be thorough, it needs to be realistic and it needs to be in writing. It also needs to be fluid, since it will change as you learn more and move ahead.
Ditto

Acampbell9 (original poster)

#5: Post by Acampbell9 (original poster) »

Almico wrote:There is way more to being in business than the ability to make a good cup of coffee. Planning is the key word. You need a business plan. Seek out the Small Business Development Center in your area and take some classes. You will learn much.

You need money to live and you need lots of money to start a business. If you don't have any, how are you going to buy a GS3 or Linea? How will you buy a roaster? How will you buy coffee, pay for supplies, food licensing fees, insurance, rent for space etc.?

If you have a job, keep it. Take classes at night and plan for running your pop up on weekends. You'll have to work 7 days a week for a long time before the business (hopefully) allows you to take the plunge and quit the job. This is easier when you're young, trust me.

Running a business and being your own boss is a worthy goal, but it is a lot harder than looks. There are a lot of necessary tasks that are far less pleasant than making coffee and chatting with customers.

It's an equally worthy goal to own your own home. But now that it's yours, you need to either have a pile of money to keep it up, or learn to be a plumber, electrician, carpenter, mason, roofer, HVAC expert etc. Owning a business is very similar. Lots of capital makes it easier. Starting with little is the hard way...very hard.

The first unpleasant task as a business owner is the business plan. It needs to be thorough, it needs to be realistic and it needs to be in writing. It also needs to be fluid, since it will change as you learn more and move ahead.

Ditto

This is very sound advice. Currently I'm looking into all my options and aren't just going to go out on a whim with a family to provide for. I'm developing a plan to be able to get to where I want to be, and currently that means getting a different job since my current one doesn't allow for much savings to be piled away. The goal would be to have enough to sustain myself for 6 months to a year and also have the funds to buy the necessary equipment. For a few months, I pay a friend to run it and run it with excellence while I work a main job that will give me extra capital to be able to cover "unexpected's". Once it gets to a point where I see it can be run and make enough to pay an employee and myself, and also a bit more, then I will quit main job and make the business the focus. Eventual plan would be to get a brick-and-mortar location once the time, places, and financials align. Obviously I would also find resources and people to help me understand all the business side of things. I already have a few leads on that bit. Certainly not looking to spend money I don't have and dive headfirst into an empty pool.