Adjustable Kettle Recommendation for Pourover & Tea

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
politbureau

#1: Post by politbureau »

Ok, first things first.

I'm a coffee addict.

There, I said it. I could perhaps even be called an obsessive compulsive, especially when it comes to the black gold.

At last check I owned 8 different manual pour over brewers (a number of Hario V60s and Chemex brewers, plus a Clever Dripper and Bonavita Immersion), 3 different automatic pour over brewers (Bodum Bistro, Bonavita BV1800 and Behmor Brazen), plus 2 semi-auto espresso machines, 1 lever, 2 grinders and a several stovetop brewers. And let's not talk about the 18 baskets, 6 portafilters, 12 tampers and other accessories that reside in my coffee cabinet.

Which, to be honest, is a lot.

But the one thing I don't own is an adjustable kettle. For the longest time when making pour overs, I've followed the time honoured tradition of boiling my kettle using a quick-read remote thermometer, and shutting down the kettle by hand when the temperature reaches 205F, which results in a fairly consistent 200-201F at the grounds when poured.

Well considering the rather silly number of other coffee accessories I own, I figure it's time to join the 20th century and jump on the adjustable/variable bandwagon.

My budget is essentially unlimited, but I need something that will work for coffee and the myriad of hand-blended teas that I drink. I'd also prefer to avoid a water tower, and also get something that is wife- and counter-friendly.

Absolute must-haves
- temperature accuracy within a reasonable margin of error
- must not come to a full boil before backing down to temp
- set temperatures between 165 and full boil
- accurate keep warm function - prefer 30m +

Preferrables
- flip up lid
- no plastic in contact with water
- good pour control
- quick heat up

Kettles I've ruled out
- Kitchenaid Variable (does not have a setting between 194 and 212)

Contenders

Breville
+ fast heat up
+ looks great on the counter
+ easy to use buttons, wife friendly
+ nice flip up lid with clear window
+ dual water sight levels
- lots of plastic in contact with water, and heavy plastic smell when first used
- reports online are that plastic contains BPA
- other reports state that kettle is less than accurate when using small volumes of water
- keep warm only 20m

Cuisinart
+ fast heat up
+ nice compact design
+ looks good on counter
+ wife friendly buttons
+ 30m keep warm
+ easy open lid
- reasonable amount of plastic in contact with water (less than Breville)
- some concerns online about reliability
? no idea about accuracy from reviews

Bonavita Gooseneck
+ no plastic on contact with water
+ excellent accuracy
+ 1h keep warm function
+ excellent water control
+ count up timer for brewing
- very slow to reach temp
- lid must be completely removed to fill
- pretty damn ugly, red LED display
- not terribly wife friendly

Inevitably, I'm leaning towards the Bonavita for the obvious reasons, but its still pretty ugly and not terribly user friendly, unless I'm missing something.

Are there any other options I'm missing? I know a bunch of other manufacturers make similar kettles, but I'm not inclined to trust the likes of Oster, Hamilton Beech, Chef's Choice, Salton, HBPro or Black & Decker. I know Melita makes a kettle as well, but haven't read a lot about it.

Any experience, empirical results or advice recommended!
Many beans were harmed in the making of this barista.

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

You probably already know the Bonavita is by far the best variable temperature kettle on the market for this purpose. You can either buy it, or get something with significantly less utility because you think it's ugly and it doesn't have a flip up lid. That's pretty much what it comes down to. It's only "slow" because the controller pulses the heating element as it nears the set point to improve accuracy and avoid overshooting. It's up to you and your wife whether you think it's too ugly to have on your counter. I've used many different kettles with both styles of lid, and I can't imagine anything other than a serious physical disability making it an issue. The controls are simple.
Chris

chang00

#3: Post by chang00 »

There are two additional adjustable kettles I have:

Joyyoung YJK-12F01M. No plastic water contact point. There is a timer for length of keep warm function. It is adjustable in 5c increments. Notice on the kettle I have, the adjustment is only in centigrade.

Kalorik JK 28345. The temperature control is in fahrenheit 175/185/195/200/212. Lid is plastic, but the kettle is all stainless steel.

For tea though, you might want to consider one of the Zojirushi, Tiger, or Sanyo water boiler/warmer, which generally has four temperature settings likes 140/175/195/208. The lower temperature is especially good for certain tea.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Cameron,

I own the Bonavita and all I can add is it heats very fast. I'm delighted with it.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

treyrox

#5: Post by treyrox »

I too have the Bonavita and use it every day when I am at home. And I miss it every day I am not home. Actually, I travel with it quite a bit.

politbureau (original poster)

#6: Post by politbureau (original poster) »

Looks like I'm getting the Bonavita... Thanks to everyone for putting me straight. I've placed my order with idrinkcoffee this morning!

Cheers

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics »

Get the BV...although it is slower than the flash boil version, I love the hold feature. I can't imagine the one or two minute difference being a problem unless you are a fan of waiting for water to boil (and watching pain try). I keep busy and prep stuff, wash some dishes, or whatever without having to obsessively monitor the water temp.

I feel you on the flip up lid, however. I think the lid is annoying and would like to see them change it. But it is not a deal breaker for all the positive features.
LMWDP #431

politbureau (original poster)

#8: Post by politbureau (original poster) »

Picked this up from idrinkcoffee today, and have already had 2 pour overs and 2 cups of tea!

Build quality is... Pretty weak. The kettle itself doesn't sit flat in the base and wobbles, and the buttons don't feel like they're very robust.

Because of the slow boil time, I wish it beeped or made a noise when the set temperature was reached. I find myself having to use the hold temp, otherwise I've come back to the kettle only to find it having cooled down.

And yah the lid sucks... Also, I find it doesn't really do a full rolling boil... When I set it to 212F, I get a few trails of bubbles, but it never reaches a full roll. Is this common with other users?

Still, having such an accurate kettle is sweet! Pour overs are much easier to manage without sitting and watching my thermometer!

Cheers

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

politbureau wrote: ... having such an accurate kettle is sweet! Pour overs are much easier to manage without sitting and watching my thermometer!
That's what works for me. I tell it to hold temp when it's first heating. For $99 I'm not expecting fine crafstmanship, just something that works, and this does.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

achipman

#10: Post by achipman »

politbureau wrote:Picked this up from idrinkcoffee today, and have already had 2 pour overs and 2 cups of tea!

Build quality is... Pretty weak. The kettle itself doesn't sit flat in the base and wobbles, and the buttons don't feel like they're very robust.

Because of the slow boil time, I wish it beeped or made a noise when the set temperature was reached. I find myself having to use the hold temp, otherwise I've come back to the kettle only to find it having cooled down.

And yah the lid sucks... Also, I find it doesn't really do a full rolling boil... When I set it to 212F, I get a few trails of bubbles, but it never reaches a full roll. Is this common with other users?

Still, having such an accurate kettle is sweet! Pour overs are much easier to manage without sitting and watching my thermometer!

Cheers
I hacked the way it slows down once it gets close to the right temp. I wanted it to keep heating fast so I didn't have to wait..

I set the temp for 211 or 212 instead of the target temp of 200 or 180 (my tea). Then I watch as it approaches the temp and lift off when its ready. Easy, peasy, lemon .. well you know.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife