2014 HG one... regrets/would you purchase again?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dcupstateNY

#1: Post by dcupstateNY »

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. So, as the subject line suggests; any regrets on your purchase? I will use it strictly to pull SO espresso. Probably will replace my Pharos ... well, maybe.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

Bikeminded

#2: Post by Bikeminded »

I have no regrets on my purchase. I never thought when I got into this hobby I'd spend that much on a grinder, but (for me), it has taken grind out of the equation for a source of problems. It's just been so stupid easy to dial in. A side note, I have not been using for much SO. More blends...Red Bird currently.

Gig103

#3: Post by Gig103 »

Why no SOs with an HG-one?

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

I have one regret...

not buying one sooner. :wink:

I use mine (pre-2014 model) for SO espresso. Works great. Very easy to settle into a routine with it.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

I replaced a Pharos with the original HG1. I admit that the new version looks like a nicer grind size adjustment. But I have no regrets upgrading from a Pharos. The Pharos was really nice compared to my old Vario, especially loved it once I got it dialed in that I didn't need to adjust it.

So given that I'm considering selling my current HG1 and re-purchasing a new one I would say qualifies for the original OP.

FWIW, I haven't pulled a blend as espresso in a long time, unless you count mixing a couple SOs together for the occasional shot as the last one runs out.

dcupstateNY (original poster)

#6: Post by dcupstateNY (original poster) »

EspressoForge wrote:So given that I'm considering selling my current HG1 and re-purchasing a new one I would say qualifies for the original OP.
So the new "stepped" adjustment doesn't dissuade you? Which burr set would you go with?
Ciao,
Dave

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge replying to dcupstateNY »

I guess not, it seems like a lot of steps, how little can you twist anyway? In either case, these conical burrs don't seem to be very sensitive to needing minor adjustments. There's a large range where a coffee pulls well at. Compared to my old Mazzer SJ, it seemed like the correct grind was a razor thin setting, and changed every day.

I'd probably pick TiN burrs, only because they'd be different and something to try out, and because they aren't more expensive.

cmin

#8: Post by cmin »

I don't think the steps are a problem, they wouldn't have screwed the grinder up for that. Don't think I've seen a single complaint from current owners, the steps are so tiny.

dcupstateNY (original poster)

#9: Post by dcupstateNY (original poster) »

To one and all ... thanks for your input/feedback!
Ciao,
Dave

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

As far as I know, anyone who has compared HG one to Pharos has reported no difference in the cup. So don't expect vastly different espresso. You can though presumably expect a more ergonomic grinding experience. I am a Pharos guy, and have considered moving to an HG-One just for the looks and convenience. I don't have room for an electric large conical, and I'm not going back to a smaller burr, so its pretty much my only upgrade option. More than 3x the price for looks and convenience is had to swallow though. Still considering it regardless.