1st coffee shop - are they legit?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nick Striker

#1: Post by Nick Striker »

Has anyone done any business with a web site called 1stcoffeeshop.com? There prices are too good to be true and you know what that means. Any input would be appreciated. I'd love to get a lever machine for my brewery.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

No idea, but the results from the DNS registry lookup for the domain do not inspire confidence:
  • Creation Date: Feb 15 2010
    Expiration Date: Feb 15 2011
    City: Medan
    State: Sulawesi Utara
The lack of any address or phone number in the "Contact Us" page is equally disquieting. According to the Wayback Machine, this domain has been around for awhile, but has no meaningful content (one graphic page). According to my searches, it was allowed to expire last year after idling for years and picked up by the current domain owner. My searches for any discussion of this site were fruitless.
Dan Kehn

randytsuch

#3: Post by randytsuch »

There is a thread at CG on the same subject, the guys over there don't think this site is legit either, between the location, lack of information on the site, and the too low prices, I wouldn't take a chance with them.

Randy

Nick Striker (original poster)

#4: Post by Nick Striker (original poster) »

Thanks! Those were my thoughts too.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Shipping cost accurately reflects their location. $250 Flat Rate per item or $350 per order to get that $1200 Duetto 2 to Ct. $3900 for a 1 group Linea? What do these normally sell for?
LMWDP 267

Yeti

#6: Post by Yeti »

They also claim to be BBB accredited, yet don't show up on the BBB site.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

They also claim "secure ordering", whatever that means, but the checkout doesn't switch to SSL; if I tried switching to it explicitly via https, it fails. Amazingly they will ship two 4 groups all the way from Indonesia to the US for a flat rate $235. :shock:
Dan Kehn

jlhsupport

#8: Post by jlhsupport »

Definitely an identity theft website. We had a rash of shoppers asking about similar sites with prices that of course turned out to be too good to be true. I reported them to this database:

http://db.aa419.org/fakebankslist.php

They mainly deal with the Nigerian advance funds scams, but they also keep a list of fake storefronts that use stolen or fake BBB-accredited logos. I think we found about 12 sites that looked identical until the perpetrators finally gave up for a while. Looks like they are back at it, so I wouldn't be surprised if some new ones pop up that look just like the 1stcoffeeshop "site." I'm reporting this to the database, as they are very good at getting these kinds of sites closed down.
Joshua Stack
JL Hufford

walkingbean

#9: Post by walkingbean »

maybe they are trying to confuse people between the legit 1stincoffee.com folks versus the apparently UNLEGIT 1stcoffeeshop.com

benhogan

#10: Post by benhogan »

Hope springs eternal! I sent them an email bout a week ago with question just to see if and how they replied.

I think everyone's instincts are correct: too good to be true!!! darn it, I could almost taste the coffee :cry: